Sunday, September 28, 2008

10 Greatest Rock Artists

Whatever happened to good old fashioned rock and roll? It seems like the world of music has passed me by. I was driving in my car this weekend, scanning the radio stations in search of something decent to listen to. Yet, even at the relatively young age of 32, I find myself tuning into stations that are dominated by artists who made their mark during my parents heyday. What does this say? Am I that out of touch with the goings on of today's generation? Probably so. However, I think it also says something about the quality of today's musical output. I think today it's more about image and less about musical credibility. Not to say that image didn't figure into the equation in the "good old days." In fact, most of the great classic artists had something distinctive about their image, whether it was the Beatles with their long hair or Elvis with his swinging hips. Yet, even with these unique artists, it was always the music that mattered most, and it's also what we remember the most. As I scan the radio in search of something new, I hear snippets of the latest in the world of rap, hip-hop, r&b, country, techno, metal, and everything in between, and I keep coming back to the same old question: Whatever happened happened to good, old-fashioned rock and roll? How did it come to this? Why has our society regressed to the point to where we regard idiot rap artists like Ludacris (if that's how you spell it), pretty boy no-talents like Justin Timberlake, or country rednecks such as Toby Keith as major talents? Is the best we've got? Maybe I'm the one who's regressed, who knows. Luckily, there are radio stations out there for has beens like me. And as I listen to these great old songs, to me generally sound as fresh and original today as they did when they were originally released (which was generally before I was even born). What is it about these songs and artists? I think one of the things that sets them apart is the spirit behind them. The idea that music could change the world and the way we look at it. Today, that element seems to be gone (or maybe I'm just to deaf to hear it). Today, it seems to be about strictly about money. In the words of Bob Segar, "today's music ain't got the same soul. I like that old timer rock and roll." With that in mind, I am going to end this entry by paying tribute to what I feel are the ten greatest artists in the rock and roll genre. To me, these artists have helped shape the music we love and have created bodies of work that have and will continue to stand the test of time. More than any other artists, they are the reasons why I continue to tune into classic rock or oldies stations. And now, for the list.

10. Elvis Presley-even though some of his music is forgettable, any rock and roll list without the king isn't a valid list
9. U2-the best band of my lifetime, and the only group from my generation to make the list
8. Kinks-in the shadows of the Beatles, Stones, and Who, one of rock's most underrated artists
7. Bruce Springsteen-the voice of the working man
6. The Byrds-what you get when you combine the Beatles and Bob Dylan
5. Led Zeppelin-heavy metal's equivalent to the Beatles
4. Doors-there's something appealing about the dark side
3. Who-nobody ever combined rock and roll fury and melody so brilliantly
2. Rolling Stones-never has gracelessness sounded so elegant
1. Beatles-rock's most successful, influential, and enduring artists ever

Some honorable mentions include Elton John, David Bowie, Eric Clapton, Eagles, Johnny Cash, Beach Boys, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, and Jimi Hendrix, Neil Young, Genesis, and Queen. Notice once again that these are all artists from the older generation.

No comments: